Thursday, July 12, 2007

Halibut Preview: GU-nit

Just as Hercules took on his famous twelve labours, over the coming three weeks, I will attempt to preview each of the 14 teamsregistered for 'Halibut 2007: It was THIS Big!'. Today: the Gold Coast based GU-nit.



I really only know two things about this team. One is that only Stefan has registered, suggesting that he might be an army of one (in which case, the vaguely US military name of the team is kind of fitting). But the other is rumours of large numbers of crazy foreigners (and I mean this is the most affectionate way) arriving on the Gold Coast for some surf and study (and Ultimate apparently). So this team could be a surprise packet.

But let me tangent onto noting that the Gold Coast remains the basketcase of Australian Ultimate. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE, its Australia's fifth largest urban area, has two sizable universities, people chuckin' frisbees on the beach, glorious weather, etc. This is not to disrespect the efforts of people like Stefan or Jimmy L or even A-Prof Stocks, and yes, there is a high turnover of people, but crikey, how can there not be a huge Ulti-scene there?

Or maybe there's tonnes happening and I'm just out of the loop as usual.

PARTY: Although I suspect this team will have party talent, I suspect we won't see it, as the squad will be wanting to drive home to the Gold Coast overnight. Second last.

OUR TIP: I'm a sucker for rumour and looking for a surprise. 9th

No comments: