Tuesday, April 19, 2011

More Wining and Dining with VIPS

After months of negotiation with the Top Dog's PA, we finally scored a meeting with the Man About Town, at least on a Thursday Night, BPLLD - Graham Prickett!

With the 4pm early bird special done and dusted, we were fairly confident that JdR would not be roused from his armchair in the pool room. After numerous bottles of red, we felt we got a glimpse of a Special Vision for BPL. It's all a bit blurry now, but we'll try to piece things together for you.


So Spesh, c'mon man. Give it up. What's going to be different this season?


Not much, Stu has done such a great job in the previous few seasons I wanted to keep as much as that goodness as possible. Also I'm new to the LDing game and I wanted to get my head around the challenges before I went changing much. I've got a few ideas for upcoming seasons so we'll see how that goes.


Just a few, hey? What are your big hopes for the direction of BPL?

At the moment I see BPL as a link in the chain for players from beginner to nationals and beyond. The way I see it is
UQ/BUML -> BPL -> Nationals etc. I don't want to change this but I'd like to get more up and coming players down playing BPL so this means recruiting more from UQ/BUML leagues.

Did see that Poll we did? 53% (24 people) said that they'd be happy to drive to the GC once a season. Will we see this happen?

Maybe.... I think it's a good idea....

We'd need someone to organise fields, perhaps someone from SFC??

I guess the way I'd see it run is SFC would play their first 5 games of the season in Brisbane then the last 5 of the season at the Gold Coast.

It would actually make financial sense for bpl as well because we pay for 2 fields at Annerley every Thursday. If we had only 2 games we could cut it down to 1 field.

Good idea, I'll look into it.

Thanks mate, I came up with it my self. The other item for discussion is growth of BPL and bringing in new players. A two-tier system has been mentioned. This would involve the existing clubs supporting a second team. Would this work?

My plan at the moment for recruiting new players into the BPL is to run a 4 week hat league between seasons (around June/July). Al organised a similar league last year. I want to encourage as many players from BUML/UQ leagues to play this and then to get captains on board recruiting from this league.

I don't think we have enough players for a two tier system. A 2nd tier BPL league seems strange to me. BPL has always been a step above the other leagues in Brisse. If you make a 2nd tier you make the second tier the same standard as other leagues. Other leagues have chicks so why would play with a bunch of dudes if the standard is the same?

I suppose it would require a club approach. Sounds like you and Bug 01 aren't talking.

Is 8 the starting point (or average) for spirit scores?


I don't really care as long as captains are consistent week to week.

What happened to The Field #1 rule? They say it's gone the way of the Buggers..

Recently changed this back to what it was before. Will be discussing with captains on whether it continues next season.

Cheers Spesh.

No comments: