Tuesday, February 03, 2009

BUML 2009 - Season 1 Preview

Hi Everyone - Work Experience Will here. Yes yes, thank you all for your welcome. It’s great to be here, we’ll laugh cry and grow together. I’ve been titled “Work Experience Will” for the month until I finish filling out the workplace health and safety waivers, specifically the ones on feeding the Wetnose and bringing JdR bacardi and colas mixed just right.

BUML PREVIEW!

This is why I have opted to sleeping in the BUB pantry. I can keep an eye on my spare taco shells and I can throw down about the upcoming Monday night League that is causing a stir in me the most.

I have a dream, not about freedom from oppression and intolerance, but a dream to see the Brisbane mixed scene rival that of Sydney and its NSL league which hosts 50 teams! If you want to compare Brisbane we have about 19 teams here (combining BUML and UQL together). If there is an upside to this shortage of teams it’s that this preview will be much shorter….. :(

So, let’s start with Division 2 and run down the list (did anyone else notice the sudden disappearance of the KG Cougars only to be replaced by the Electric City?)

Mellow Yellow
Helmed once again by Jon 'Never' Good, these guys took the Div2 trophy last season. With extra 2 players added and all other players returning they don’t seem to be changing what works. If the Bermuda and Dyspnoeics don’t give them a hard time in the pool games then they could make the final again.

QUTies
Ahh the QUTies, how can I write about you and not feel some sentiment. You’re the Abbott to UQ’s Costello. (For those of you with generation impairments further viewing is prescribed: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M ) But I shall show some self restraint and just do the preview. It’s really good to see the QUT club growing again after what I thought could have been the team’s final breaths when Jangles was leaving. Ms Bird has stepped up to run the second team and props to her! Every player in this team has 5 digit Afda’s so the players are relatively fresh. This is however judging a book by its cover I shall show patience and wait to see how the team does in round 1.

Poachers
I do NOT want to see this team dissolve. Dan Blacklock and company have put a lot into these guys since they started one year ago and I’m hoping the rest of the team is just being lazy signing up. The Poachers are a middle tier team at the moment but with the field levelled substantially this season I can’t call where they will end up. Quick history point for those interested. The creation of the Poachers kicked into motion the 2 tier system that BUML now uses.

Fresh Fries
"NOOOBS!" you may cry (I cry). BUT! Juniors do surprise you, especially as they get some game time under their belts. If anyone cares to remember Heads of State was big on the Juniors and they finished 5th at Coffs Harbour last year. Hey, at least Piers has a team of Juniors he can focus on up here, now if the Fresh Fries can only get some more junior girls. Placing? Upper-ish.

Tune in tomorrow for the 2nd half of the Div2 Preview.

Will- i –aM

No comments: