Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Lords of the Eastern Territories

For those who missed it, our friends in Canberra, Fyshwick United, won the New Zealand Nationals tournament over the week. Well done FU - with this and the success at Eastern Regionals, you've certainly put a target on yourselves!! ;)

More intriguingly, they defeated Melbourne's Heads of State in the final. Yes, our trans-tasman cousins had the displeasure of watching two Aussie teams battle it out.* semi-final. FU then went on to roll over Auckland B in the Final.

Given the debate here about New Zealand being offered a slot at the Australian nationals each year (going back to when they won the Australian title back in 2003), I wonder if the Kiwi's are having similar feelings about perhaps discouraging Australian teams from coming and pinching their silverware? [Edit - I mean this is amusement - I am both sure and understand the Kiwi's welcome guests, and welcome people keen to add to the competition there!]

On a tangent - I see the Friday evening feature game, a tradition at Nats, will be Australia vs New Zealand. Good on the NZ team for stepping up for the extra game. And highly appropriate given it will be ANZAC Day. If I may roughly quote the fantastic memorial in Canberra to the Australia/NZ wartime companionship - it takes two handles to carry a basket.

*I normally don't bother correcting posts, relying instead upon people's comments to show up errors, but rarely have we received such a torrent of email as on this one!

3 comments:

Simon Talbot said...

It was the semi final where Fyshwick beat Heads Of State, not the final. Nonetheless, good effort by both teams.

Jangles said...

I dont know which team to support my mums side of me say NZ but dads say go aussies.

Twatson said...

yeah sorry JDR, my email was unclear.

And the NZ teams and players really made sure we knew that they were really happy with us coming over and playing and lifting the standard of the sport there.