Wednesday, February 06, 2008

We Will Huck Them on the Campuses ...

O-Week is just around the corner, the UQ League is getting ready to kick off in a few weeks, the Lovers and Passion are preparing for BPL2008's launch (on Valentine's Day, appropriately enough) and then there's the prospect of defending the Australian University Championship around the corner. Its going to be a big year for the University of Queensland, so we at the Brisbane Ultimate Blog crash-tackled (metaphorically of course) Will Churchill to get the lowdown on the In Crowd.

Brisbane Ultimate Blog (BUB): Will, just how frickin' good IS Ultimate at the University of Queensland?


Will: To put it simply, Brett Matzuka took an ok, run of the mill, your moderately attractive sibling kind of thing ... and ate it whole. And in that Hawaiian digestive system of his he cooked up awesome and gave birth to a gold deity. Now we the second generation are shining that golden goddess to gleam gleefully in her gorgeous garland of greatness before we unleash her all over Brisbane (Think Angelina Jolie from Beowulf but without the whole demonic thing going for her). Frankly, I think we do it pretty freakin well. Each week I chat to people who say that they look forward to Wednesday League just to play at UQ. I think it’s the structure of how we run it that makes it more than just playing, we get everybody intermingled and meeting eachother before we even break out into games.

BUB: Is it true that all the greats of Brisbane Ultimate got their start at UQ? I am thinking of Healy, Ray, Burwell, McGlashan, Cooper-White …

Will: UQ drips multi-generational awesome. We have some of the best players in the city here. On top of the boys you mentioned we also have the Cheeseburger Johnny Mac, that kid who goes to uni occasionally, Cunliffe I think his name is. and the blog-favourite and ladies man himself Al Don. Basically if you want to learn from some of the best out there and get some real Frisbee action the best place to start is UQ.

BUB: So what's to look forward to in 2008?

Will: This year is going to be pretty big. We’re investigating some forms of sponsorship/venue kind of thing to give the social side of the sport we all love an overhaul. Also with revised financial agreements with our overlords we also have more dosh to spend and now have freedom to get into things we’ve been wanting for a while now.

At the moment we have our own discs on the way from the good ole U.S of A and if things go well we could go into some club clothing or something else all together, but that’s a little deeper into 2008.

The other big thing is Uni Games. This year is in Melbourne and we are going to be defending the crown so hard fought for last year so local uni talent from UQ is something we definitely want to get growing in preparation for this year.

BUB: Why do you think Uni students dig Ultimate so much?

Will: Ultimate makes you sexy, and that's what Uni students are into. No, seriously, I think that Uni Students are into OUR kind of ultimate, heck, even non uni students still hang around because of how we play. The club I would argue is on par with YUFL but we drink more and make it a bit of a party. I would challenge any YUFL, WUFL and BPL player to come down and take the Pepsi challenge on this one.

BUB: Sounds tough. Who's in the running to be the new Brett Matzuka and Jonathan Potts?

Will: At the moment my money is on the big guy Julian Sacre I’ll never forget the point at BPL where Jules beat Mike Nield for a sky in the endzone to take a point. That man is magic, can throw a disc pretty well too.

BUB: And now for some personal questions, Will. Old school or new school?

Will: New School man, check this new iPhone and this invention called the internetz. Now don’t get me confused with Junior School, I hate Corey Delaney just as much as the next Old School Grizzled Ancient.

BUB: I dig. Spirit or beer?

Will: Beer FTW. It’s always a good way to start the night (and often a bad way to end it *cough* Nationals 07 *cough*). Specifically, if I’m being cheap I’ll hit up the Tooey’s Extra Dry or Steinlager or if im going to be classy its usually a Stella or Becks (Not the crappy Australian stuff, make sure it’s the imported kind, you’ll thank me later).

BUB: Jangles or Stefan?

Will: Hands down to Stefan, that bloke is hooked up with the ladies who I had the pleasure to meet at Uni Games haha. I hear Jangles keeps his toe nail clippings in a jar and sleeps with it… I’m not very down with that.

BUB: Me neither. And you've got a new-look website too I see?


Will: Yep, and I see you've added it to your links list there on the Brisbane Ultimate Blog. Its even got some new updates on it!

BUB: Thanks Will!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, JDR thats chaddy.

I'm in the wife beater in the front row of that picture.

JdR said...

Sorry - fixed now.

That's a big brainfade.

At least I didn't put Grundy up there!

Jangles said...

hehe bring it on chump.

Speaking of websites my down time has not been wasted keep an eye out for some new websites.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm decidedly 'old school', but is anyone teaching basic spelling and grammar at school anymore? Judging from that new UQ Ultimate website I very much doubt it.

Anonymous said...

@shagger
Haha, I setup the original website, this new one looks 10 times better and has some great content promoting ultimate so I think we should let the spelling and grammer slide. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Damn...


I certainly hope there wasn't anything sinister like grammar or spelling on the new site.