Thursday, February 21, 2008

The League Formerly Known as YUFL

The Monday night mixed league kicked off a few days back, and we've been a bit slack in posting stuff about it .... hope to fix that soon.

The big change this season of course is the use of two sets of fields - the Yeronga AFL fields (where Monday mixed has been for the last 18 months or so), and now the Annerley Junior Soccer Club fields (where Thursday league has been for a few years now).

This is a great thing as the Yeronga fields have been busting at the seams for some time.

With the move (half-way at least) away from Yeronga though, does the Yeronga Ultimate Frisbee League (YUFL) need a new name though? Maybe ... or maybe not.

Some people like to see the word 'intermediate' in this league. I don't know why. In my personal view the League is very open to experienced players, and can handle beginners (at least in terms of a few on each team).

Me, I'd like to see the words Monday and Social and Mixed in the name. These are the defining elements of the League in my mind. I like Social because it sets the tone of the League, without saying expert/intermediate/beginner - its the 'everyone can play' league.

I don't think I have an automatic winner, but how about BUMS League - Brisbane Ultimate Mixed Social League?

Post your comments ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of SSSL.
South Side Social League.

In my opinion mixed is implied by social.

wetnose said...

As QUTies won the last 3 seasons, they have the rights to name the league and have been asked to do so by League TD Dan Blacklock. This is still in negotiations.

Anonymous said...

Well get a move on then sheesh. We already finished the 2nd week.