Monday, November 17, 2008

Wet Weather

Brisbane has suffered from a terrific downpour over the weekend, to say the least.

This morning, my inbox is full of email from desperate Ulti-addicts - "Will BUML be on tonight?"

Here's the process we have in place with liaising with Annerley Juniors about field closers for BUML and BPL.
1. During the day, a rep from AJSC inspects the fields (a few of their people live nearby). If there is surface water visible (ie puddles on the field), or the fields have been damaged due to wet-weather play, then they'll close the fields.

2. They email this info their stakeholders (which includes me as Ulti-rep).

3. If an email comes saying the fields are closed, I email the BUDA, YUFL and BPL lists as appropriate. There are a few people I also text message, as they're a long way away from the fields, or don't have easy email access. Some people also do this for their team-mates.

4. If by 4pm there is no email, then fields are considered open. I prefer not to send a reassuring email to everyone, as ...

5. If it rains between 4pm and 7pm, then the League Directors should inspect the fields on arrival (ideally before turning the lights on). If there is surface water visible (ie puddles on the field), then they shouldn't turn the lights on.


Make sense?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not good enough, JDR! I demand three days notice so I can get over missing out on a night of friz. It hurtz so bad.

Jangles said...

could i suggest a forwarding email that can be sent to a number of league contacts rather than just you. this would mean we are covered if you can get on to email at your cozy government job!!! not that this will ever come up.

I am happy to set it up for you i just need to know who to forward it too.

Jangles

Simon Talbot said...

Heh. Crazy Queenslanders and their rain.

Jangles said...

you wouldn't know rain if it hit you on the head Pissy.

Anonymous said...

Hello
I´m from colombia, and i play ultimate. I arrived two weeks ago and i like to play ultimate, here in brisbane. Then somebody tell where and when can i play?. Thank you. my e-mail is lucas_ca13@hotmail.com

See you