Thursday, November 06, 2008

If I Could Recruit 100 New Players

If you could get any 100 people to come and play Ultimate (leaving aside individual differences), who would you recruit?

I’d probably start with 100 women. Partially, this is because Ultimate has a gender imbalance for various reasons that I’d like to see gone for various reasons. But paradoxically, I know that women attract men to the sport.

Of those 100 women, I’d probably like to have 25 who are still at school, 25 who are at University, and 50 who are over say 23. I know plenty of people who would skew things more towards Juniors, because kids will play for longer and can become much better much more quickly.

Of the 25 women still at school, I’d like at least 12 to go to the same all-girls school. Having that sort of core will help that school develop an ongoing interest in Ultimate, and seek to challenge other schools. It’ll also make for a pretty strong junior women’s team for the city/state/country. Random spread of the rest.

Of the 25 at University, I’d want 10 who were studying marketing, communications or journalism. Random spread of the rest.

Of the 50 people over say 23, I’d like to have 10 who were ‘jobless’ – raising children, being homemakers or working informally from home. Ultimate lacks people with a bit of time through the day, who are thinking about their lives in the long term, and who have an inclination to help others. Another 10 I’d like to be teachers or lecturers of some sort. Another 10 would work in local government, because of the influence that city councils can have on field space, amenities, grants and local profile. 5 would be tradespeople of some sort (I may be dreaming there). Random spread of the rest.

Of those 100 women of various ‘things they do all day’, I’d like 30 to live near Kalinga Park in inner Northern Brisbane, and 30 to live at Logan City (this is the Brisbane Ultimate Blog, you know). These are places I’d like to see new Leagues forming. Random spread of the rest.

Oh yeah, and 1 of these 100 would own a brewery. :)

How would you pick your 100?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd take 100 15 year old AFL players.

Anonymous said...

100 UQ girls!!!

Pete said...

10 x 18yr afl girls
10 x 20yr afl girls
10 x 22yr GAA girls
5 x me (lol, 1 main and 4 injury backups)
5 x aL
5 x mike neild
5 x JMac
5 x Brett
5 x of Australia's best U19 goal keepers
5 x Gaks
5 x Dowle brother sets (they can count as 1 per set)
20 x mix of Beth,Notty,May,Spoon
10 x network television board members and executives.

Jangles said...

50 x Northside players
20 x Athletic Brisbane Girls misc ages
5 x Bruce (we can never have enough admin)
20 x QUT Players
2 x Media Personalities
2 x Politicians (preferably sports ministers
1 x Richard Branson (Money goes a long way. Plus discount flights to tournies would be great)

Anonymous said...

100 x State level netball players who pass academy level elevation and sprint training - no shooters unless they've figured out how to coordinate their limbs.

Tomsteve said...

I agree that we need at least a hundred more UQ girls... at least a hundred... for various reasons...

going with pete's idea of getting influencial people. I think we need to get justin timberlake playing frisbee. While it would make me incredibly uncomfortable a ridiculous amount of women would start playing.

Jangles said...

i dont think you could get a uni games team together even with 100 extra UQ girls. You need to ditch chris, that or get him to grow the rats tale again so the girls know he is harmless.