Thursday, June 05, 2008

And Now on "BPL Chat with Jangles and Wetnose" ...

BPL starts NEXT WEEK so we hope you've registered your ass! I notice a few teams look a bit light on. Anyway, once again the Brisbane Ultimate Blog looks to bring the elite of opinion-makers aboard, and invites their thoughts on the upcoming season. So we welcome Jangles and Wetnose.

Brisbane Ultimate Blog: Hey guys, thanks for coming on the blog to preview the upcoming season of the Brisbane Premier League, Australia's best local Open Ultimate Frisbee League.

Jangles: Thanks JdR, pleasure to procrastinate?

Wetnose: Screw you Jangles, but its good to be here, JdR. I managed to fit you into my otherwise hectic schedule.

Blog: I see. Well, before we go into the new BPL season, what did you think of the old one?

Jangles: Well, last season saw Slippery Buggers start off with some pretty poor performances, but with some soul searching we were able to figure out a structure that worked. The expansion to six teams seems to have reached a point were you have to show up expecting to actually run.

Wetnose: Last season was a real cracker. Our last game of the season went down to double game point and determined whether we would have finished between 2nd and 4th, which would have changed our semi final opponent to Passion, in the end it wouldn’t have really mattered as WE SMASHED THEM ALL!

Blog: Ah, ok. Chill, dude. Were there any big surprises for you during Season 1?

Wetnose: The attendance rate by Buzz was quite high compared to past seasons so that was impressive. Also the attendance at the grand final was awesome, its really good to play in front of a large crowd that are heckling and cheering for you.


Jangles: Mostly heckling, I'd guess Wet. But I was surprised at just how awesome Season 1 was.

Blog: How about that Final?

Wetnose: What can I say? I was good, I mean REALLY good. I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty good anyway, but that was something special. That’s the kind of game people talk about for years. I know I will be.

Jangles: I didn’t go.

Blog: Why's that, Jangles?

Jangles: I don't want to say. It might penetrate my air of mystery.

Blog: Um, okaaay. So looking at the new season, how are the Buggers preparing?

Jangles: It's all about recruitment. Recruiting is still being done with two High Schools under the Buggers wings. I am sure we will be able to get some new young runners in over the next few seasons. Also with the recruitment of QUT and Mike's other sources then you may see a few more friendly neighbourhood Bugger faces around in the near future.

Wetnose: Of course, we are trying to get Jangles to learn how to layout. It’s been almost 3 years, and the guy can still count the number of layouts he’s done on one hand, and even those weren't much good. Also, we have been scouting the local schools for new, young talent. It seems that every season our talent pool goes young and young. I think I might have to sign up your unborn child now to play in the first season in 2023 JdR.

Blog: Lordy - the very thought! So they're trying to squeeze out some of you old guys? If you keep recruiting, there won't be space for some of the lamer amongst you. Are the Buggers keeping the same Slippery/Messy groups, or rearranging again?

Wetnose: Well we don’t like to give too much away, but we are basically keeping it the same. We have a lost a couple of personnel so there is a bit of new faces and a bit of a shuffle to compensate for that, but other than that it’s the same. Look out for some new Buggers shorts to match the new Buggers shirt soon.

Jangles: What he said. I'm sworn to secrecy on the other stuff.

Blog: Do you think that there's still a place for "boutique" teams like Rawhide and Dojo, or is the future just about "super-clubs" like the Buggers and UQ?

Wetnose: The boutique teams will always have a place in the competition. I mean, someone needs to play off for those bottom 2 places.

Jangles: Well interesting I have heard rumours that Rawhide are trying to step it up a notch and are starting to do some training lead by lucky Stu. I think you will find that more and more teams will have to start stepping up as the League continues to grow.

Blog: How do you see Season 2 of 2008 being different from Season 1? Colder?

Jangles: If you're feeling cold then I am sure Wetnose will give you a tight mark. I think that the new Buggers teams will be strong and I suspect that you'll see at least one Buggers team in the Final, as usual.

Wetnose: It happens every Winter and while I hate to say it, I think teams will struggle to field 7, or even 5, players ever week. Soft. It will be a real test as to the strength of growth for the league whether we can field 6 teams every week with 7 players. Also, look for Slippery Buggers to race up the ladder. They got their sh*t together at the end of last season so watch out I say.

Blog: How much of a shake up do you expect with players away in Vancouver for part of the season?

Wetnose: I think it could open up the season a bit more than usual with Mike, aL, Piers, and Mat R away. This will affect Lovers, and both Buggers teams, although I think Lovers will be hurt the most with two players missing. Look for Lovers to slip into the bottom 2 this season (assuming the UQ team make up is the same as last season).

Blog: So lets put some predictions firmly on the table - who do you expect to see in the Final at the end of this season then?

Jangles: Buggers v Buggers! But I am a bit biased so my outside chance goes to Dojo for some reason. Maybe its just that they're a bit prettier than the others.

Wetnose: Well the Buggers have had a team in the Grand Final in every season they’ve been in the league (eight) and have won six of those. So I’m gonna say that it will be a Buggers vs UQ final. Which UQ team will really depend on what the make up they have for this season. Although, Dojo may rekindle their form of last year and get there. But I can’t say that Rawhide will be up there, although I know that breaks your heart JdR.

Blog: I'll let that slide, because my love for Ultimate overcomes all. But no love for UQ then?

Wetnose: I’m always about the UQ love. A bit of grope with Churchill or Dean, it’s all good.

Jangles: I hate UQ with all my guts. No I don't. What? Someone else seems to be writing my answer here?

Blog: Don't worry about it Jangles. Eventually I get bored waiting for you to email me back. Anyway, thanks guys – I'm sure a few of our readers will look forward to matching up with you on the field soon.

Jangles: No worries. Thanks for a chance on the mic.

Wetnose: Well, Jangles will be injured but will still play ridiculous well and win the game for his team. And if you didn’t want to hear that, he would have told you that himself anyway.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling UQ will be surprising everyone this season, I mean Pete should be back and playing more than 3 games and that should place Lovers in pole position for the championship.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow what a nice person, who are you anonymous poster...

What about B-Rock and Will Larkin added to that list of missing lovers due to worlds. And then Buzz from Passion. I reckon each team should get 1 bonus point per player representing :D

Anonymous said...

pete allen = Glass pop gun

Jangles said...

hehe i am in strengthing mode so i aint injured nor do i intend to be. But then again knowing my body something will break i got second game in the pool.

AJ said...

This is the same pete that opts for fiji instead of a frisbee tournament. I dont think lovers can count on pete again. I think Lovers is decimated this season unless they can pick up some sweet imports. B-Rock, Larkin, Piers and aL all off to represent the Green and Gold. Chris is wanted to play mix instead of BPL... And then pete who will be in FiJi

Anonymous said...

Cuncliffe Snr is soft. Always has been, always will be.

Anonymous said...

Fiji is only for one week sheesh. Let's call it crosstraining, a week practicing breath control under water and manning a yacht :P

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The last time you went to a beach you were out of frisbee playing for months Pete...


Crosstraining? More like crossfailing....