Wednesday, May 23, 2007

You Can Always Learn Something New

So last night I went along to Men's Training at Toowong (which is running Tuesday nights for the next several weeks).

I went because Ms N. was going to Women's at the same time and place and I wanted a run around after a busy day at work. But I guess most importantly for me was the realisation that despite being 'old', there's still a heap of improvement I can get into my game and that an improved me will make a big difference the teams I play with.

And I can report that I really enjoyed it and got a lot of out it. There was some comedy value for the other 9 guys from discovering that I've never thrown a push-pass - but I started to learn how to throw one. I'm not terribly fit thanks to current workloads, but the exercise involved was about right - I went home tired but not wrecked. And it was good to be with people that I don't normally play with - Andres, Jangles, Liam, Chris, Mica and so forth.

A real find for me was having Pottsy lead the session and Buzz and others offering suggestions. I've never really played much with Pottsy, and I started to realise that the pointers you get from people during games are usually pretty limited. I think Dusty mentioned to me recently how when playing Mixed Nats last year with Pottsy in Crikey he got a lot of value over JP's ability to coach people, and I saw it last night. Where other leader-types explain and run drills or plays, Jonathan seems to be able to always offer an extra explanation of how an individual can do their bit of the drill, and to do that bit better.

Anyway, enough praise. But I'll be back next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a suckhole you are, jdr! pottsylover
But i came cos i heard about a photo of shawn on here but i dont see it?
is this blog all yours now or will al come again?