Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Another Issue of Australian Ultimate in the Mail

Morning readers,

I've been busy as buggery with many different things the last few days, so please forgive me for a short post. While not strictly related to Brisbane Ultimate, I figured I'd note that the January 2006 issue of Australian Ultimate (aka the AFDA Newsletter) went into the mail on Friday/Saturday/Sunday (and sorry, a few people won't see their's in the mail until tomorrow, as I ran out of stamps and time). As you may imagine, its always a pleasant feeling to get it all done and out the door - this for the 14th time for me!

In a response to an earlier post, mighty Matt Ryan reckoned that 85-90% ofAU newsletters went in the bin pretty quickly after being received. Quite possibly this is true. Some readers may think this implies that the newsletter is maybe not worth doing, and certainly people have suggested that to me at different times and for different reasons. My short response is usually that there's plenty of value in people physically getting something in the mail from the national assocation and its generally been left at that. There are plenty of other people who tell me its great and thank me and the AFDA for it. But like any reflective person I still occasionally question the value of the exercise.

A quick encounter from a game on the weekend (the game itself is a topic for another post) reminded me of this value though. A fella from Byron whom I'd not met before made a real point of thanking me for the newsletter. I'll paraphrase what he added (and hope he won't mind) - something like "It's been my only real connection to Ultimate outside my local game" and "It's inspired me to come up to Brisbane and join this club and get to World Clubs."

Well, that made me feel good!

jdr

ps comments on AU always welcome.

No comments: