Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Declaration of Personal Interest

From the desk of JdR.

So, some of you frisbee-folk will have seen the announcement that QUDA have taken me on as a paid casual/adhoc Executive Officer. It's aimed at involving roughly 2-8 hours per week (although at the moment its about 0-5), and is modelled roughly on the roles Woodie and Pottsy provide to AFDA.

The role’s primary activities are supporting the Executive, supporting volunteers,
liaising with stakeholders (such as Queensland Government, AFDA, and field suppliers like AJSC), coordinating QUDA’s coaching services, and generally promoting Queensland Ultimate. We had a trial month during June and again in August and it seems to be going well so far.

A driver for establishing the role has been the general exhaustion of the current crop of volunteers, a backlog of administrative and policy development activities, and my offering of my services as part of a long term career change (I'd suggested thinking about it for next year, but Bruce was keen for me to start ASAP).

For me, of course, its great. I can *justify* doing even more frisbee admin stuff than I was before (which I think was a fair bit), because I'll be getting paid for it.

But its a difficult line to cross, and I'm really intending to straddle the divide between paid stuff and continuing on some volunteer stuff.

On the volunteer side, I'm still planning to stay on as AFDA Secretary until the next AGM. I'm still planning to be involved in events (like the Mixed Nats website) and organising and being on teams. And, you'll be pleased to know I'm sure, I aim to keep posting regularly on this here blog.

But please feel free to call "Check feet, Jase", as it were. If I'm doing something QUDA is essentially paying me for, I'll try to remember to put "Jason de Rooy, QUDA Executive Officer" on it.

I've got a million ideas and things to do, and I'm sure you do too. Its pretty exciting. Do me one favour though, if you're asking for a hand. Remember the resource is limited, as it were.

Cheers, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled Brisbane Ultimate Blog service.

Jason

2 comments:

Mike said...

Congratulations Jason

I think that Queensland is lucky to have someone as committed to promoting our sport as you formally on the books.

Good luck with the new job and I hope you do some excellent things for Ultimate Frisbee here in Queensland.

Goose said...

Great work JDR, you will definitely be missed on the admin/volunteer side of things. We can only hope the person to take up your mantle will be just as good!